Recipe: Toad in the hole with onion gravy
1 portion contains approximately: 300 kcal - 23 g protein - 7 g fat - 36 g carbohydrates
Ingredients (for 2 persons)
- 50 g plain white flour
- 4 reduced-fat sausages (pork or vegetarian)
- 150 ml low-fat milk
- 1 medium egg
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 50 g mushrooms
- low-salt gravy granules
- 250 ml water
- Heat oven to 1800c. Use a non-stick roasting pan and place on the middle shelf to heat.
- Pour the milk into a jug, add the egg, salt and pepper and whisk. In a separate bowl, add the plain flour and stir in the whisked eggs and milk.
- Whisk well for a couple of minutes until a batter is formed. Pour back into the jug and place on one side.
- In the meantime, grill the sausages on both sides, for a couple of minutes.
- Once the tray is hot, place the sausages onto the tray.
- Pour the batter around the sausages and return to oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until risen and golden brown
- While the batter mix is cooking, finely cut the mushrooms and onion and gently fry. Add the water and low-salt gravy granules and cook until thickened.
- Serve the gravy with toad in the hole and seasonal vegetables.